I have been lucky enough over the past couple of weeks to have not one but several awkward moments during my Yoga classes. Thought I would share.
- Standing next to a moaner in class. For 2 weeks in a row, I shared a yoga room with a moaner. At first, she was across the room and it was annoying but when she stood next to me the following week, it was just plain obnoxious. I realize that it feels good, but I don’t need to hear that. No one does.
- Smelling farts in a hot yoga class. I can’t stress this enough – don’t do it, ever! I realize that it is a natural bodily function, but I will spend the entire 60 minutes concentrating on holding it in rather than letting one slip out during a class. Because it is gross and a hot yoga room makes it a million times worse.
- Don’t make me sing or hold hands with my neighbor after a yoga class, please. I’m not sure what got into this instructor on this day: it was a crowded class (only hand palm distance between each mat), it was a tough Vinyasa flow, but after our Savasana (Corpse Pose) our teacher instructed us to wipe off our hands and hold our neighbor’s hands. We all reluctantly did what we were told. He proceeded to play The Beatles “All We Need Is Love” and encouraged everyone to sway and sing. Not my kind of bag, baby.
- After a tough, tough class I welcomed my final Savasana and settled in to my space for a few last meditative minutes of class. Then I heard a flute. Now, normally, the teacher will play some great soft music that helps you settle in and relax. While my eyes were closed, I kept asking myself “Is this guy playing the flute? Is this guy really playing the flute?” Yes, my instructor was walking around the room playing the flute. And it took every ounce of my Yoga being to not snicker or even crack a smile. I was very proud of myself.
I have also fallen on my Yogi neighbor while attempting an arm balance, had someone’s foot touch my forehead during a pose because she had ridiculously long legs, fallen asleep before a Yoga class, fallen asleep during Savasana (and snored), and had a wardrobe malfunction although it was during a candlelight class so I don’t think anyone else saw – at least that is what I told myself. These didn’t all occur in the last week, but they have all happened to me in the last year or so.
Hope you have a great weekend. Jim is in Vegas, Baby for the weekend and Noah and I have a jammed packed weekend: some running, Yoga, swimming and library visits, Sunday brunch with friends. Laundry and cleaning may happen.
What is your most awkward Yoga moment?
- Fitness Recap: Enjoy the Breaks (kandjcolorado.wordpress.com)