Platte River Half Marathon Race Report

18 Apr

I experienced something with this race that I have never experienced before: no stress. I wasn’t stressed before the race, during the race or afterwards. what’s up with that?! Whatever, I will take it.

The forecast for the Platte River Half Marathon was not a good one. 30/40s with rain and snow mix and 30 mph winds. Not a big deal normally but not cool when it is late spring with incredible weather the day before and most of all, not on race day!!! We woke up to a couple of inches of snow on the ground, but the rain had stopped and the sun was coming out. Sun, makes the 30 degree temps not feel so bad. I was still overdressed, but I usually am because I’m so wimpy about the cold. By the time I got there, the snow was gone.

The race started in downtown Littleton by the light rail station. I parked at the Mineral Station and took the 3 minute train ride up to the start. I reluctantly parted with my fleece jacket at the bag drop, but still had on tights, a long sleeve shirt and a long sleeve half zip (I told you I’m wimpy). If my running partner, Nina would’ve been there, she would’ve laughed at me until I was shamed into removing a layer. For nutrition, I had my small hand held filled with water, 1 GU and 1 package of Sport Beans.

The start was typical (read: mad dash) but I tried to not get too caught up and go too fast. My goal was to just keep my 7:40 pace. I felt good from miles 1-6 and held the pace. Got some water and ate a few of the Sport Beans. I said hi to Kathy from Got to Keep On Running Long. She was manning the Mile 6 water station like a champ.

Then around mile 7 my legs got heavy and my tummy start hurting. My pace slowed to 8:20. I didn’t panic; I was just annoyed. I took some more water, but I couldn’t eat anything. My stomach felt empty, but I just didn’t want to eat at all. This became the new normal until mile 10 or so. I tried to push the pace, but didn’t have it in me at that point. It also didn’t help that the wind started to pick up. I continued to take water and saw a girl around mile 8. She was a bit in front of me wearing black tights and a black shirt and I followed her to the finish line. She and I were back and forth the last 3 miles encouraging each other along the way. We went up the hill at mile 12.5 and I pulled away on the last half mile. I finished really strong with a strong kick at the end. I found her after the race and thanked her for keeping me going and being so encouraging. I’m telling you, keeping her in my eyesight was what pulled me out of my funk until I felt like I could push the pace.

My stats:

1:45:51 (8:03 pace)

Overall: 339th/2409

Females: 83th/1421

Age Division: 11th/243

After the race, I picked up my bag and put on my fleece- the wind had really started to pick up. The food after the race was simply, AMAZING!!! After the usual water, sports drinks and fruit tables I meandered over to the food parking lot and OH-EM-GEE! I started with some a lot of hot green tea (perfect), then chowed on some warm garlic knots (oh, how much I love you), then got a bowl of beans and rice from Wahoo’s Fish Taco’s. I made sure to slather that bad boy with plenty of their infamous Green Sauce. They also had chili, hamburgers, and bratwursts – I just can’t eat all that right after a race. Garlic knots and Rice and beans were perfect! The hot tea kept the chill away. I headed over to the train for the ride back to my car.

Why are more races not arranged around the train??? It was so nice! They handed out train tickets, we boarded the train and then chatted with fellow runners on the ride back, completely stress free. No traffic, no hassle. Easy peasy! No races left on the calendar until May 20th for the Colfax Marathon. I have a few weeks to get serious about this marathon thing.😉

5 Responses to “Platte River Half Marathon Race Report”

  1. tootallfritz April 18, 2012 at 8:22 am #

    Great pace! I love having somebody in a race who I can focus on and try to stay with, it makes all the difference.

    • kandjcoloradoliving April 18, 2012 at 9:09 am #

      I have never done that before. It was really great and made a big difference!

  2. Laura April 18, 2012 at 12:06 pm #

    For not feeling great that second half, you still came away with an awesome time. Congrats! I am a huge wimp in the cold, too. I love that I got to skip winter this past year living in the south. :) I’ve usually been fine on a half to skip any fuel during the run, but have a good mix of carbs/protein about 1.5 hours before the race (usually toast or waffle with pb and banana). What did you have for bfast? You still have lots of time to experiment and get the nutrition down for the full!

    • kandjcoloradoliving April 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm #

      I didn’t get enough for breakfast that morning for sure. We were out of the runner staples of peanut butter, waffles eggs, or bagels. I just wasnt sure how much I should be taking in on the run itself.

  3. Kathy R April 18, 2012 at 3:09 pm #

    Fantastic run!!! Can’t wait to see what you do with Colfax! Thanks for the shout out – so glad to be able to support all you awesome runners!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 747 other followers

%d bloggers like this: